Thursday, May 19, 2011

This is for you, Mom ;)

Hello, hello, hello!

Just so we're all on the same page; I've been wanting to delete this blog, but have refrained from doing so for one reason which is that my Mother would like me to keep it alive for the time being. So, in light of the marvelous fact that my finals are at last behind me, and I have a lot to say about my first year of college, the first real post (I think) of 2011 will be written.

In looking back on my first year in college, I see so much for which I am grateful...everything from the summer bio class I took last year, to each professor I was blessed to learn under, is a testimony of God's sovereign hand. I have no doubt that I am where He wants me to be because everything involved with my educational career has fallen into place and been seasoned with a grace that only comes from Him.

This past semester would probably be my favorite so far, even though it was the most difficult. Every single professor has been a joy to learn from and made even the three-hour classes a pleasure which is pretty amazing! Let's just say I've heard the horror stories...

My Anatomy and Physiology teacher definitely won first place in my book. There's not much I could say in terms of praise that wouldn't be an understatement. I took her for A&P 1 & 2 and she seriously fanned the flame of my passion for science. I love her personality, her thought process, and her enthusiasm for teaching. It was humorous to watch her answer the ever-abundant senseless questions (which always seemed to come from that same corner of the room); uplifting to to witness her excitment when a student answered a question correctly; and inspiring to experience those moments of revelation as she explained the complex yet harmonious workings of the human body. While I am relieved to have A&P finals behind me, I am disappointed to no longer be under Ms. Mbugua's (she's Kenyan) expert instruction.

Another noteworthy professor would be Mrs. Habib, my English 102 teacher. She's a soft-spoken Indian woman who is passionate about literature. Although my friend Chelsea and I did our share of groaning over the outlandish number of reading response sheets she required, looking back we both agree it was worth it. Each RRS, discussion board post, group work assignment, and formal essay did, in fact, improve our writing and teach us to read between the lines for a deeper meaning. I was both frustrated and inspired as Mrs. Habib identified my potential and pushed me to write to the best of my capabilities. That English class was certainly worth every penny for there were life lessons learned which I had surely not forseen.

There's much to say about my brilliant stats professor (who made math class a comedy) and my equally knowledgeable history teacher (who lectures with her eyes closed), but it is common knowledge that "Brevity is a great charm of eloquence", of which this post is dearly lacking; so instead I leave you with a short list of unexpected lessons learned in my first year of college.

- Don't be surprised if the essay you finish last minute (like 2 hours before it's due) gets the best grade!

- On-the-spot profundity is, indeed, possible!

- The origin of the word "threshold" is enchantingly logical!

- Don't get vaccinated the weekend before finals!

2 comments:

  1. "Don't get vaccinated the weekend before finals" -- I feel like there's a good story behind that one. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Hayley, it was a serious mistake. I was out of it for about 4 days (dizzy and exhausted; in Luke's terminology I felt "drugged" lol)... There will hopefully not be a next time. ;)

    ReplyDelete