Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Summer's Revelation

I absolutely love Worldview Academy! It's a wonderful Christian camp focused on equipping young people, intellectually and spiritually, to give a reason for the hope that is within them. If I were to attempt a blog post all about Worldview, it could end up a mile long. = ) There are so many things I enjoy about the camp; the Christian environment, the staff and faculty, the education, the friendships...the list is endless! Needless to say, I highly recommend Worldview to every young person out there. But this post isn't really about camp or why you should go, it's about one of the biggest things I learned from WVA this year; sister appreciation.

All three of us (Luke, Brie and I) attended Worldview last year and loved it so much that we signed up to go back this past summer! I was eagerly anticipating the week, imagining what it would be like with a new small group leader, wondering how the alumni track would be, looking forward to meeting up with the girls in my group from last year, etc. I knew things would be different from last year and that was fine, but I never imagined Brianna wouldn't be there with me! Only 2 days before leaving, she informed me that she was transferring her slot to a friend because she no longer wanted to go to camp. I couldn't believe it! I was hoping my parents would make her go, but my hopes were in vain. This was going to be an experience like no other, a very special week of my life spent without my twin. God would use this very unexpected turn of events to show me how very much my sister means to me and what an enormous part of my life she is.

At first it was really weird, I kept forgetting Brianna wasn't there. I thought of so many things I wanted to tell her, I'd look behind me to see if she'd noticed so and so's look-alike and then I'd think "of course she didn't because she isn't here". I kept looking around the cafeteria or auditorium to see where she was sitting and then remembered I wouldn't find her there. That part of the experience was to be expected. What caught me completely off guard was the strangest sensation I felt every time someone called my name. It was as though they were speaking to a different person, another Tasha. It's like I've always been Tasha plus Brianna, but for the first time in my life someone knew me as simply Tasha. I wasn't part of a unit, I was an individual. Brianna is such a huge part of who I am, she's my back-up, my security blanket, the one person who always understands me, and to be without her was the most profound experience of my life. God definitely knew what He was doing when He gave me a twin. Brianna brings such meaning to my life and she's played an enormous role in making me who I am...I honestly don't know how I'd survive without her. Although it was kind of fun experiencing life as an "individual" I love the comfort of being part of our little unit, it's such a gift. That's really what family is all about.

Throughout the everyday routine of life it's so easy to take family for granted. Spending an entire week without Brianna made me realize how fortunate I am to have her in my life. She's my closest friend and so perfectly suited to be my twin. We're so different yet we are of one mind and I can't describe how much I missed her during my week at Worldview. I thank God for opening my eyes to this precious gift, this beautiful blessing, my sister.

I love you B!

1 comment:

  1. awww, how sweet! :)
    Sisters are indeed such a blessing from the Lord! What can compare to a relationship with a sister! Who or what can substitute for the beautiful tie I call siblingship! :)

    I like how you wrote this article Tasha, it sounds just like you! :) <3

    ReplyDelete