Friday, December 18, 2009

Goodbyes can be tough.... but it's not the end of the world!

        Last Sunday the youth at my church said goodbye to two of the most Christlike people I have ever known. It was not easy. Mike and Tara have led the youth Bible study for a couple of years now and it's been amazing to see how God has worked through them to transform lives for His glory. If I were to tell all the ways they've been His hand extended, His words of life spoken, this post would end up a mile long. My life, and the lives of many others, has been changed for the better because of their obedience to Jesus Christ and their desire to see Him alone glorified. Looking back on the time Mike and Tara were here, I can clearly see God's presence and guidance all along the way. I guess that's one reason it's so hard to see them move on.
Monday morning was really difficult for me because that's when I finally let reality sink in. The sad part wasn't just the fact that we'll miss them terribly, but also the question: what now?
Wednesday I was reading in the book of Mark chapter 8 which begins with the account of Jesus miraculously feeding the 4,000. Verses 15-21 really spoke to me;
"Then He charge them, saying, "Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod." And they reasoned among themselves, saying, "It is because we have no bread." But Jesus, being aware of it, said to them, "Why do you reason because you have no bread? Do you not yet perceive nor understand? Is your heart still hardened? Having eyes, do you not see? And having ears, do you not hear? And do you not remember? When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many baskets full of fragments did you take up?"
They said to Him, "Twelve."
"Also, when I broke the seven for the four thousand, how many large baskets full of fragments did you take up?"
And they said "Seven."
So He said to them, "How is it you do not understand?""

I looked down the page to see if there was any commentary on these verses and this is when it was clear to me what the passage was saying. Here's what it says about verse 21;
"Here Jesus' role in teaching the Twelve comes into the foreground of the narrative. His question to them is a reproach for failing to realize that the Lord who miraculously provided for five thousand and four thousand men with their families is capable of taking care of twelve men's physical needs. Indeed, they should know that Jesus is worthy of their total faith in all that He will reveal to them in the days to come."

Here's what I wrote in my journal after reading this.
Wow! This really hit me as a word regarding my doubt about Mike and Tara leaving, wondering what will happen now that they're gone. We were so blessed to have them leading us, they are so rare...I felt so sad that their incredible influence would be gone. They were one of the best things that ever happened to us. These verses and the commentary rebuked me for my doubt and lack of trust in God. If God has been so faithful in providing for my spiritual needs thus far, how is it that I do not understand? He will provide. He knows best today just like He knew best when He brought Mike and Tara here a couple years ago.
        Lord, forgive me for my doubt. Forgive me for forgetting Your wisdom. You give us every reason to trust You. Thank You so much for speaking to me, for comforting me, for reassuring me. May I never cease to trust You and to praise You for Your faithfulness. Let Your will be done always!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment