I recently went to a David Phelps concert...oh my goodness, it was incredible!!!
What beauty! What power!
Everything about his voice is just perfect. His seemingly limitless lung capacity is the real driving force in the mix, and I love the clarity of his voice. It's such a pure sound (much like Sandi Patty). Most singers sacrifice beauty for power, but Phelps' voice is a perfect union of the two. I think that's was really hits home for his audience; his strong, power-packed notes retain the glorious beauty of his most gentle tones. The concert was mostly Christmas music with a few other hits thrown in including- End of the Beginning, Fly to You, and Nessun Dorma. It was a full night of amazing singing and I hope to see David Phelps in concert again. He has my utmost admiration and respect, not only for his vocal genius, but also for his genuine humility. I've seen some good vocalists perform and it's a little too obvious they know they're "all that". David accepted the multiple standing ovations with grace and sincere delight.
Another reason why it's a joy to watch him perform is that he sings with conviction and passion that is necessarily lacking in good secular singers, ie: Josh Groban.
The longer I live, the more I notice the fingerprints of God in His marvelous creation. Sitting there, listening to one of the greatest singers of all time gave me a sense of awe reminiscent of my first airplane flight when I saw the clouds from above and the time I beheld the magnificence of the Grand Canyon. Truly, there is no more powerful demonstration of the Lord's majesty than that which is displayed in His creation. Only His hands could form these wonders...
"Every good and every perfect gift is from above." I am so thankful to have been blessed with the opportunity to enjoy this exquisite gift from the Author of beauty.
I highly recommend that all of you see David Phelps in concert, and don't forget to take me with you!
Next time, I wanna go too!!!
ReplyDelete